FH-1 Phantom
Initially designated the XFD-1, the prototype of the FH-1 was delivered for evaluation in 1946, thus becoming the Navy's first jet fighter. On 21 July 1946, the XFD-1 completed the first carrier qualification of a pure jet in U.S. Naval Aviation history on board the carrier Franklin D. Roosevelt (CVB-42). The first FH-1 Phantoms joined the fleet in 1947, with Marine Fighting Squadron (VMF) 122 flying them as part of an unofficial demonstration team called the "Marine Phantoms."

​Accepted by the Navy in February 1948, the Museum's FH-1 Phantom (Bureau Number 111793) spent only a brief time in active service, the rapid development of jet aircraft technology outpacing it virtually from the moment it joined its first squadron. After flying for a brief time with Marine Fighter Squadron (VMF) 122, the first Marine jet squadron, at Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS) Cherry Point, North Carolina, it was stricken from the naval inventory in 1949. The Museum acquired the aircraft in 1983. (NMNA)

Click on the Thumbnails below to view larger images.

  1. Managing Director
  2. Managing Director
  3. Managing Director
  4. Managing Director
  5. Managing Director
  6. Managing Director
  7. Managing Director
  8. Managing Director
  9. Managing Director
  10. Managing Director
  11. Managing Director
  12. Managing Director
  13. Managing Director
  14. Managing Director
  15. Managing Director
  16. Managing Director
  17. Managing Director
  18. Managing Director
  19. Managing Director
  20. Managing Director